Thursday, February 2

A Book By Its Cover: The Mysterious Benedict Society

**This blog is a part of a series, as I read my way through 2017.  To see my book list and/or recommend more, see this post.**

2. A Book Chosen for Its Cover: The Mysterious Benedict Society- Trenton Lee Stewart

This was the second book I chose to read in 2017, and also second on my list!  I chose it by rambling through the children's section of my local library and grabbing the first book that looked interesting.  I will admit that while the cover was one appeal, the other was the length.  It's a good-sized "chapter book" that I thought would hold my interest and keep me busy for a few days.

As it turns out, I was quite right! The Mysterious Benedict Society follows a group of exceptionally talented young people on the adventure of a lifetime as they are selected for a very special mission to rescue their society from "the Emergency."  I abhor giving away vital plot details, so I'll spend most of my time here focusing on the big picture, and I'll leave the mystery for you to solve alongside our young protagonists!

This book, while not the absolute best in its genre, is definitely near the top.  It's compared to the likes of Roald Dahl, Lemony Snicket, and even dear J.K. Rowling (who has been slaying on twitter this week- just sayin').  I personally got some definite Madeline L'Engle vibes, which always bodes well.  The story is clever and will absolutely keep the late-elementary/early-middle schooler on their toes.  It kept me engaged, and while certain moments were a bit predictable, there were a few great plot twists that surprised even me. The characters are lovable and relatable, and ultimately believable heroes. They struggle with self-doubt and courage and identity, and even selfishness, and learn important lessons as they pursue their quest for truth.  They're flawed, and that makes them even more dear to us as we get to know them.

Much of this book seems to me to be about the power of friendship/family/belonging. At the same time, it offers great insight into a society that is all-too-ready to accept a norm of panic and chaos at the expense of independence and truth.  Some very Orwellian themes lie just below the surface, and would make great discussion points for any age group. I think a bold enough teacher could even use this as a companion novel for something like 1984 or Fahrenheit 451, or even an alternative for students who aren't quite up to that high school reading level.

But I digress. Overall, I think I made a fantastic choice in judging this book by its cover and joining my new friends in a great adventure to prove I'm up to the job of joining the team and saving the world.  I'm also glad to say there are a few sequels floating around out there, so my journey with these clever kids doesn't have to end here.  I highly recommend The Mysterious Benedict Society to readers of all ages!

1 comment:

  1. Lea Ann suggested I buy that series for my library several years ago. I still haven't read it but I'd like to,

    ReplyDelete